At the time, the project was the largest restoration ever completed in North America. The unprecedented restoration project returned the Capitol to its 1906 grandeur employed master artisans, architects, structural engineers, and historians.
During a segment of the restoration project the entire western portion of the
Capitol containing the Legislative Chambers was completely closed. The Legislature had to meet in specially constructed trailers located nearby on Capitol Park grounds. Fortunately most Legislators, the Governor, and Lt. Governor continued to occupy the East Annex and were only inconvenienced by the construction.
In January 1982, the newly restored building was completely re-opened to the public. After the ribbon cutting the legislation hosted a “Restoration Gala” complete with a dazzling fireworks and lazer light display.
Today, most of the rooms in the historic building are used daily to conduct the state’s business. Fortunately, during the restoration, several key rooms, such as the Governor's offices, were set aside for the State Capitol Museum and restored to their 1906 appearance.