The West's first great architectural monument was the California State Capitol in Sacramento. Its historical integrity and symbolism has been continually at odds with the government's need for expanded space and modern amenities. To accommodate growth, the Capitol has undergone a number of remodels during its lifetime. The first, beginning in the 1890s, less than thirty years after its opening, saw the grand staircases replaced by office space; the installation of modern necessities such as central heating, ventilation, plumbing, and elevators; and the addition of a new fourth floor.
In 1949, the circular apse on the east side of the building was demolished to make way for the East Annex. The East Annex was built to accommodate the expanding need for greater office space.
By 1972, the state had once again outgrown its Capitol building. It was deteriorating and becoming unfit for its purpose. A seismic study revealed that the Capitol would be unsafe in an earthquake. It became time for California to make an important decision - rebuild or restore?
The phenomenal growth and complexity of the California state government soon crowded the annex and, by 1970, many legislators were convinced an entirely new Capitol was needed at a different location. That idea went forward to the point that working drawings were created and plans were submitted for modern towers. These proposed towers would have been built on the same site as the original Capitol building. In July 1974, leadership in the legislature changed hands, and speaker Leo McCarthy proclaimed that there would be no new Capitol. The original would be restored. Solidifying this statement, Assemblyman Leon Ralph and Senator Lou Cusanovich authored bills AB2071 and SB1547 that called for the structural and aesthetic restoration of the Capitol. These bills were passed in 1975 and 1980, respectively.